April Economides, a seasoned sustainability professional with an M.B.A. in Sustainable Management, founded Green Octopus Consulting in 2003. There are few things that bring her more joy than vibrant, healthy cities - both visiting them and helping create them. Some of her happiest memories include riding down separated bike lanes in Washington, D.C. and enjoying the urban parks of New York City.
In her role as a strategist, connector, and communicator, April is engaged at many levels of her local community. Some of her pro bono work includes:
- Go Long Beach Award (March 2013)
- Featured in Jax Bicycling Center’s 2013 Wall Calendar - in the July photo with her daughter on their “bike limo”
- Long Beach “Steward of the Second District” (December 2012)
- Focus of City of Copenhagen Study: Bicycle Programme Manager Andreas Rohl won a grant to visit Long Beach and San Diego to study April’s work creating bicycle-friendly business districts (November 2012)
- 40 Under 40 Award Recipient (April 2012)
- Long Beach Magazine “April in April” profile (April 2012)
- M.B.A., Sustainable Management, Presidio Graduate School (2009): Team research and presentations on energy efficiency, renewable energy, split incentives, Property Assessed Clean Energy, and green collar jobs. Conducted climate action research for the City of Berkeley’s Sustainability Office and gave a team presentation to Mayor Tom Bates. Developed team business plan for a small business sustainability venture. Helped recruit Van Jones to speak at Presidio. Authored a macroeconomics research paper on vertical gardens for urban centers. Served as the T.A. for professors Hunter Lovins, Gil Friend and Marsha Willard.
- Certificate, Innovation in Ecological Design and Construction, City of Portland (2003)
- Sustainability Now! Workshop Series, Ecotrust (2002)
- Non-Profit Management Seminars on management, grant writing, and board member training (1998-1999)
- B.A., History, University of California, Santa Cruz (1997): African American History and Urban History emphases. History Highest Honors, College Honors, Community Service Award.